Rear-end collisions are among the most common types of car accidents that occur, and, in most cases, the law assumes that rear-end collision are the fault of the driver that is behind the car that was hit. The reasoning behind this legal assumption is that, in theory, a driver following another car should be:
- Going at a reasonable speed (i.e., driving within the speed limits)
- Leaving enough distance between his car and the car in front of him so that he has enough time to come to a stop without hitting the car in front of him even if that car needs to suddenly stop (due to, for example, there being debris in the roadway).
In some cases of rear-end collisions, however, the driver of the front car may be found to be partially or fully at fault. Some examples of this can include when a driver:
- Pulls out from a shoulder or alleyway into oncoming traffic
- Cuts off another driver already in a roadway lane
- Merges onto a freeway without gaining speed and ends up cutting off another driver already going at the freeway speed limit.
Rear-End Collision Injuries and Compensation
When either the front or back driver (or both drivers) have acted negligently or recklessly and caused a rear-end collision, injured parties will be eligible for compensation for their property damage and car repair bills, mental anguish, medical bills and any lost wages they incurred due to their injuries. Such rear-end collision injuries commonly include (but are not limited to):
- Head and neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries, particularly concussions
- Cuts, bruising and/or broken bones
- Back and spinal cord injuries.
Starting a St. Louis Rear End Collision Car Accident Lawsuit
The St. Louis car accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in traffic accident cases, workers’ compensation cases, wrongful death cases, defective product and dangerous drug cases and various other areas of personal injury litigation. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases.
If you were involved in a rear-end collision and are currently in need of a Missouri or Illinois car accident lawyer, we encourage you to email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or to call us at (573) 333-3333 for our Missouri office or at (618) 888-8888 for our Illinois office. We offer free consultations.