While motorcycle accident injury statistics can provide insight into the most common causes of motorcycle collisions, they can also be used by lawmakers and others to try to pinpoint what can be done to try to reduce the number of motorcycle accident injuries and, ideally, to make the roadways safer for riders. The following are some of the most recent motorcycle accident and injury statistics for 2011 (the most recent year for which statistics are available), according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- The number of motorcycle riders injured in accidents on U.S. roadways was approximately 81,000, which represented a decrease from the 82,000 riders injured in motorcycle accidents in 2010.
- About 14 percent of all traffic accident fatalities involved motorcycle riders.
- While motorcycle riders are more than 30 times more likely to die in traffic accidents than occupants of other vehicles, motorcyclists are more than 5 times more likely to sustain serious injuries when accidents occur (when compared to occupants of other vehicles).
- Nearly half of all motorcycle accidents involved collisions with at least one other vehicle.
- In motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle, 3 out of 4 of these accidents involved crashes with vehicles in front of the motorcycle, and only about 6 percent of them involved riders being hit from the back by another vehicle.
- In motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle, nearly 40 percent of these accidents involved the other vehicle suddenly making a left-hand turn in front of the motorcycle.
- About 23 percent of all motorcycle accidents involved collisions with a fixed object (e.g., a roadway median, a traffic signal, etc.).
- Since 2002, motorcycle accident fatalities have increased by more than 40 percent.
St. Louis Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
The St. Louis motorcycle accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in traffic accident cases, workers’ compensation cases, wrongful death cases, defective product and dangerous drug cases and various other areas of personal injury litigation. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases.
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident and are currently in need of a Missouri or Illinois motorcycle accident lawyer, we encourage you to email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or to call us at (573) 333-3333 for our Missouri office or at (618) 888-8888 for our Illinois office. We offer free consultations.